Sunday 29 May 2016

Keep Your Balls Well Separated

I broke my golden rule today. Just after 10 miles, as I decided to try and put in a fastest final lap, my balls kissed and one of them bounced off ahead. I managed to catch up with it and keep the dribble alive but I don't think Guinness would be happy on marathon day - I'd have to come back to the point where they touched.
Anyway, aside from that it was a pretty good run. I'll get the stats out of the way first this week and then I can blab on about everything else. Ten laps, 11.20 miles in 01:41:41 which is an average of 9:03 minutes per mile.
It was warm again today. I should've got out earlier. There were clouds about which brought welcome shade but when the sun comes out it's a bitch. I've learnt to speed up a little when the sun goes in and the wind picks up.
I was wearing my new hydration pack today (I bought myself the Inov-8 one I tested last week) and also the GoPro camera. I wanted to run in exactly the kit I'm going to run in on Friday when I do the Brands Hatch 10k. And that's another story. I contacted them via their website to ask if they'd let me run. I heard nothing so messaged again and then on 25 May the charity Events Manager replied: "My immediate response would be no... safety... stray ball..." blah, blah, blah "...but I am open to discussion." So I replied at length, sending him video links, answering his questions and explaining that I could almost literally to a 10k jaunt with my eyes closed. After a little nudge on Friday afternoon to see if he could let me know before the weekend he said: "Yes we are happy for you to take part" so I thank you Tom Abbott (www.hokh.org) for your willingness to listen.
I'm lucky enough to have a park behind my house so a couple of evenings this week I've gone out to practise some ball skills. It's something I'll be doing more of whilst the light and the weather hold. I'm getting much faster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gyvh1MH_Bw
I didn't notice until after I got home today and washed the filth off my hands but the index finger on my right hand has split. It's a minor injury but it has reminded me of the importance of keeping my hands well moisturised even in the summer. It will heal before Friday.
Someone on Twitter called me an 'oddball' this week for what I am attempting. Someone else suggested 'evenball' which look me far longer that it should've to understand.
So the next update I'll do will be Friday night after Brands Hatch. I'm off for a shower now and then I'm going to scour YouTube for videos of the Brands Hatch race track to see just how hilly it is. It won't be a problem but it's best to be prepared.
Kitted out

No comments:

Post a Comment