Wednesday 9 December 2015

Dottie the Rottie

I didn't get to train on Sunday due to having entered the Seaford Mince Pie 10. This was a great race despite the atrocious weather. I got soaked to the bone and more than a little bit chaffed! I'm mostly recovered from that now and after the school run this morning went to the park to try 7 laps.
It's a cold day but sunny and with very little wind - not far from ideal conditions for this time of year. The first half lap is always a little bit nervy as I settle into a rhythm but I was extremely pleased with todays run. Seven laps as planned which turns out to be a tiny fraction over 8 miles in 1:07:52 which is averaging 8:27 per mile - an excellent pace.
No children about today but plenty of dog walkers. I got chased occasionally by excited dogs but none of this was a problem until I encountered two women with about 6 dogs between them on my final lap. The largest one (the largest dog, that is!) took an interest in me and started bounding around in front of me. One of the ladies called to it: "Dottie! Dottie! DOTTIE! HE'S NOT PLAYING!" By this time, Dottie had tripped my right leg but bar a little stumble I was ok and managed to keep control of both balls. Dottie looked like a Rottweiler to me and is no doubt affectionately known at home as Dottie the Rottie.
On the short straight by the running track I had the sun directly behind me and my shadow stretched out ahead right in front of me where I focus. This was quite distracting but good practice.
I stopped momentarily once a lap to check my pace (Garmin strapped to my right shoe) but despite Dottie's best efforts I did the full 8 miles without losing control once.
The weekend is busy again but I may be able to squeeze in 8 laps Sunday morning. It's all going rather well at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment