Sunday 15 November 2015

Hecklers!

So, my second long run went really well too. Didn't lose control of either ball at all. I had a couple of 'moments' but I recovered them. What made today tricky was the wind. Coming down the back straight of the park was a really strong wind which made control more difficult. I had to keep the balls lower on this stretch of path. Four laps of the park or 4.52 miles took me 38:57 which is an average pace of 8:37 per mile. To beat the current record I'll need to maintain an average pace of 9:30 per mile so I'm running a fast pace at the moment if I can maintain that pace as I increase the distance.
I have mapped out on my calendar what distances I want to run each week with the two balls. I intend going to the park every Sunday and doing one extra lap each time. Last week three laps, this week four, next week five etc. I've built in a few weeks where I'll run the same distance for consecutive weeks and I'm not kidding myself I'll run on December 27th. However, by the end of February I should be doing 11 laps which is approximately 12.3 miles. Two weeks later will be the Silverstone Half.
I did overhear someone mutter "F***ing hell!" as I dribbled past them getting out of their car and another runner who had stopped for a chat with some friends said a more polite "That's really good!" as I ran past. My favourite heckle of the day, however, came from some cheeky footballers who on my 4th lap were calling over to me "Oi, mate! Have you got the time! Ha, ha, ha!" And if you're having trouble picturing that, it's not easy to look at your wrist whilst dribbling two balls. I just responded with a smile and a "Very funny!"
I felt good after last weeks run but my shoulders did ache a little on the Monday. Not horribly but enough to tell me they'd had a good workout. I'm expecting the same tomorrow.
Obviously I'm running mid-week too but not with the balls. These runs are just to build my general running stamina, besides, it gets dark very early at the moment and I'm not dribbling round the park in the dark. I won't be writing about these runs because that would be REALLY dull. Just assume I'm doing them.
So, all is well so far. Next Saturday is my birthday so I'll have to see how I feel about those five laps I had planned but I hope to still do them even if I have to leave it until the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment