Monday 12 September 2016

Track me in Copenhagen

...if you want live updates. If you know me I'll be cluttering up your Facebook feed once I've finished anyway! There is a Copenhagen half marathon app available, through which you can track my progress on Sunday. My race number is 8105.
I thought I'd better put in some decent mileage with the balls this weekend to give me the confidence I need to complete the race on Sunday, so I set out just after 11am yesterday to do around 10 miles. I'm not very confident in my Garmin data this week though as it kept getting lost under the trees and I'm sure it added an extra half a mile to my stats making me look a bit better than I was, but getting the numbers out of the way first: 10.68 miles in 01:34:17 which makes an average pace per mile of 08:50. Like I said though, I wasn't quite that fast. Good enough though considering I've only got to tack another Parkrun on to the end.
It was another full dress rehearsal but this time with a little adjustment I made to my hydration pack. Obviously I don't have a spare hand to drink with whilst dribbling but I haven't found it easy getting the drinking tube to my mouth and away again whilst moving. This is because the tube sticks to me and the straps that hold it in place. Once I'd pulled it up to drink from, it would slap me in the face once I'd finished. So I've taken a couple of key-rings and threaded them with short bits of drinking straw that will roll as the hose is pulled through them (look at the picture!). This means I can pull the hose up to my mouth and when I let go of it with my teeth, gravity will slide it back into place. It worked well until the hose slipped though the top ring. I've now added a hairband to the tube to prevent this from happening. I'll test it properly tomorrow.
It was hot yesterday. Fine when running in the shade but nasty in the sunshine but the good news is that the latest weather forecast for Copenhagen on Sunday is cooler and cloudier. As long as the start isn't too congested I ought to be able to meet my target of sub 2 hours.
The race organisers have published a short piece about me. Google makes a bit of a hash of translating it but it's all good PR. They also want to interview me in person on the day but if you want to see what they've written so far just search for 'Copenhagen half marathon' in Facebook.
I'm taking it fairly easy for the rest of the week. I'll post again after the race.
#kev2balls
Can't be stopping to drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment