Sunday 3 April 2016

Heckled (again)!

I think I've been to the Osteopath five or six times in two-and-a-half weeks and I'm still not fixed properly. I'm better than I was, but not perfect. I got a chance to speak to her on Thursday and told her that (assuming I wasn't going to do any long term damage) I really needed to put a long run in this weekend, given that the Brighton marathon is only two weeks away. She said that as long as it wasn't screaming at me I should be OK. So I ran just over 4 miles Friday night. I did Parkrun Saturday morning and this morning I ran 17.71 miles (it wasn't a planned route, that's just how far I'd gone when I got home). It felt really good to be running again and my back hasn't bothered me too much. It's aching a bit now but I was really pleased with how it went considering it's been three weeks.
I've been in the newspaper this week. An online article went up last Thursday and a print version was published Wednesday in the Bromley News Shopper. As a result of this, not long after I started running today, I got heckled by someone who (from the other side of the road) shouted after me: "Where's you balls?!" I didn't have time to stop and see who it was even though the teacher in me wanted to correct their grammar (but that would've been mean and pedantic anyway). If you haven't already seen the article you can find it here:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14381364.WATCH__Bromley_man_in_training_to_beat_bizarre_world_record/

So there are two weeks of tapering now before Brighton. I'm not going for the 03:15:00 finish I wanted to. I'll see how I feel on the day and aim for something between 03:30:00 and 03:45:00. It's a training run now.
I signed up for the Dartford Midnight Marathon on 2 July but the day after I did, my brother-in-law announced his 40th birthday party is going to be that night. So I have a dilemma. Now I'm considering the Liverpool marathon on 29 May to go for that magic 03:15:00. I still don't know if I've got it in me but I want to give it a go.
I've also been looking for other race opportunities to run with the basketballs. In short, the Windsor half have said 'no'. The Maidenhead half have said 'no'. The Bracknell half has stretches of grass, so no good. I'm still waiting to hear from the Tonbridge, Clacton, Folkestone and Severn Bridge half marathons but the Summer Shakespeare 20k have said 'yes'! As soon as I'm done writing here I'm going to sign up for it.
I'm not going out with the balls until after Brighton now so it'll be at least 3 weeks until I have anything to report on that front but having done 13.5 miles already I'd like to go for 15 miles next.
I'm sure I'll have something to say after Brighton though.

No comments:

Post a Comment