Friday 11 March 2016

Nice Crossover!

So I've been concentrating on improving my pace for the Brighton marathon of late and have neglected my balls recently. However, the Silverstone half is this Sunday and I needed to break in the new race balls I'd ordered. I only pumped them up this morning so I needed to spend some time with them making sure the pressures were right. I took one of the babies I look after to the park, along with the two balls this morning. I pushed the him in the swing whilst dribbling the balls, and he went back and forth just dribbling (he goes through a lot of bibs). Because they're brand new they need a bit of scuffing up. They have a bit of a greasy, oily feel to them from when they were made.
After work this evening I went back to the playground at dusk to work on them some more. Practising some skills with my back to the main park I heard a "Nice crossover!" from a guy walking his dog. It turns out he used to play a bit. We had a good chat and he might even go and have a runout at my old club. It's nice meeting new people locally - that's what I like about my job.
Anyway, the balls feel OK but I'm going to give them a scrub in the bath later to remove whatever that oil is. I'll have another little practise with them tomorrow.
I'm feeling pretty good about Sunday. It should be fun. I expect I'll attract a bit of attention and I'm hoping I'll have the energy to put in a decent sprint finish. I'm looking forward to seeing how many people I can demoralise by overtaking them in the final straight. It's always good to be doing the overtaking at the end - it means you've paced yourself well. I'll make another blog post Sunday night and that's when I'm going to go public with the record attempt and this blog. It'll be interesting to see how that affects my viewing stats and whether anyone gives a sh*t!
See you Sunday, Silverstone!

PS. I've been thinking about having that last minute nervous pit stop and contemplating having to ask someone:
"Excuse me, would you mind holding my balls while I have a wee?"

New race balls

No comments:

Post a Comment