Sunday 15 January 2017

New Year, New Balls

...And by that title I mean when I get round to doing my first balls run of the year I need to start thinking about getting my record breaking balls worn in for the race.
It's been another month since my last post and we've had Christmas and New Year to deal with, during which time I had to take a nine day break due to illness (certainly not related to overindulgence). My first run of the new year was a track night which ended in 8 x 60m sprints. I was feeling pretty hot end enjoyed pretending I was a sprinter (having never been any good at it). I really threw myself into it - so much so that all that arm pumping made changing gear in the car painful on the way home. It also meant that I tore loads of muscle fibres in my quads, no doubt in an ultimately good way but I was genuinely feeling sore for a full week.
I've been in the gym at my son's school practising my ball handling skills this week and as the track was closed this week due to snow I had time to put together the following video:


I didn't do a balls run last weekend as I was still aching from track and was taking photographs at the Minnis Bay cross country race on the Sunday (although I did run 11 miles on the Saturday). I've been away for a family function all this weekend but did manage to get 15.65 miles in in Newton Aycliffe (without balls). Mostly road. Some of it icy. A bit of cross country thrown in, all in 02:11:57 which is averaging 08:26 per mile. I won't get to take the balls out this weekend either as I've got the Canterbury 10 on the Sunday which I ought to be able to do in somewhere between 70 and 75 minutes. So it will be the weekend of the 28th January before I have a go at maybe 17 miles with the new race balls - that's if it isn't snowy or icy.
I may have some other news to share before then and if I do I'll make another short post.


No comments:

Post a Comment