Saturday 18 June 2016

Blistered Balls or a Pint of Pimm's?

The answer is probably a bit of both. More of that later.
I've been at the physio twice this week. The second time earlier than planned as the exercises I've been doing for my knee seem to be making it worse. I can still run but it's aching more. So I thought I'd ask if completely resting my knee for a few weeks would speed things up, because now is the time I can afford to take a break. I'd much rather stop to let it heal properly while it doesn't really matter than have this linger on. Anyway, the physio says that's a good idea and that I can still swim or cycle. As I don't have a bike, I'm going to swim. The rules are 'any stroke but breaststroke'.
At the moment I have my knee strapped to lift the kneecap off the tender tissue underneath. The short diagnosis is 'housemaid's knee'. At the end of next week I'm getting a brace that will do the same job to wear whilst running.
So, my break conveniently coincides with the Euro '16 football, so instead of running I can sit back and watch England crash out of the tournament. Perhaps I should run.
I say I'm having a break but I am committed to a team running event at Crystal Palace on Wednesday that I'm not going to pull out of. It's only 5k. I'll rest after that. In any case, there are beers to drink at the finish line.
So there isn't going to be much to report on for about three weeks. I'm itching to do the 15 miles I had planned for tomorrow but I know I need to play the long game. It should pay off.
My other news this week is that the good people at Great Run have agreed that I can run the Bristol half marathon dribbling my balls. This is going to be great practise as the field is around 10,000. It's exactly a week after the Copenhagen half so it's going to be a busy time. The application form for Bristol asks "Do you have an interesting story that may be of interest to the media?". I ticked that box.
I'm going swimming tomorrow, I won't bore you with the results of that.

Oh! That title! I did a few ball skills in the park this afternoon. Not quite as sharp as I would've liked. I'm not sure if it's because my balls are getting so worn they're beginning to blister or because I had a pint of Pimm's at the school summer fair. Like I said - it's probably a bit of both.
My strapped knee - that I shaved rather more of than it turns out I needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment